Reach out! We’re available by email or phone and can answer all of your questions.
You can also reference the ordering page for more information.
- Sample Serum, Plasma, Urine, Saliva, Fecal Extracts, Tissue Culture Media
- Sensitivity 90.9 pg/mL
- Sample Conservation Measure in as little as a 1µL sample
- Time to Answer 2.5 Hours
- Samples/Kit 41 or 233 in Duplicate
- Stability Liquid 4°C Stable Reagents
- Readout Colorimetric, 450 nm
- Standard Curve
Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) is the major C19 steroid secreted by the adrenal cortex, and is a precursor to testosterone and estrogen biosynthesis. It is produced by the addition of a sulfate group to dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) catalyzed by the sulfotransferase enzymes, SULT1A1 and SULT1E1, which also produce estrone sulfate from estrone. Due to the presence of a 17-ketone group rather than a hydroxyl group, DHEA-S has relatively low androgenic activity. The bioactivity of DHEA-S may be high due to its serum concentrations being 100-1,000 -fold higher than testosterone or DHEA in addition to its weak affinity for sex-hormone binding globulin.